You have found the home of Japanese Mini LP Papersleeve Replica CDs on the net
HomeBrowse FAQs (Fakes, Buying, Collecting) Fake-free eBayForumContributeMy Collection
Do not go here or you will be banned from this site!
ThumbsThis week / monthRecent images
Random images from
(Very basic search - less is better - use less words if don't find what you're looking for)
FireBoard
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Thanks for visiting the forum.

You are free the post here (and strongly encouraged to respond).

However, there is a Yahoo group (Japanese Import CDs) with a strong membership and healthy debate and discussion that may be of interest.

Re:Beach Boys reissues (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Beach Boys reissues
Iggy (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Beach Boys reissues 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0  
I've just seen the new 2008 reissue of "Pet Sounds", and it's an EXACT replica of the 1998 mini-lp (TOCP-50859). This is the first time I've noticed the obi itself being exactly the same as a long-deleted edition- the 2008 reissue even has its release date/sale limit date as 1998 and 2000 respectively. There's absolutely no indication that this is in fact a 2008 reissue and not the original 1998 edition some collectors may have paid a hugely inflated price for from eBay or some such source. Obviously this must be quite galling for aforementioned collectors, and indeed for all of us who have tracked down long-deleted minis, often at great expense.

So, my questions are as follows- are the 2008 Beach Boys reissues really EXACTLY the same, inside and out, as the 2008 editions and, secondly, what's to stop other highly-collectible bands/artists (or rather the companies who produce their mini-lps) such as Floyd, The Who, Yes, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, etc. from doing exactly the same?

I guess those bands/artists whose mini-lps were issued as a "limited edition" (with the number of copies produced written somewhere on the obi) are safe or at least safer from this kind of replication, am I right? And, if so, exactly what bands/artists fall into this category?

Thanks and best wishes,

Stu

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
kigonjiro (Moderator)
graphgraph
Re:Beach Boys reissues 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 2  
You´re only half right.

This and the one from 2005 are "reprints" not rereleases that´s the reason to have the same product code. But in fact the OBI is different that the original 98 edition.

And yes, reprints are too bad for collectors. The way it should be is like the upcoming Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple summer rereleases: different product number, date, and obi.

Recent reprints that I didn´t liked (because I had all of them and with some minis bought at high prices) were Traffic, Jefferson Airplane, Clash, Dylan, Boston,... (these were general -done by the maker for all the shops- but there were also some other limited reprints made for Disk Union only.

As collector I don´t like that but as we say here "Is what we had". "Es lo que hay".

Domingo

Iggy (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Beach Boys reissues 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0  
Thanks, Domingo. I'd quite forgotten about the Sony batch of reprints (Dylan, Clash, Mott et al.) which, as you said, was a real kick in the teeth for collectors.

Thanks too for clearing up the Beach Boys reprint issue. I thought the 1998 obi was the one shown on this site

but I am familiar with the other, original obi to which you refer. So now I have two more questions: why did Toshiba-EMI change the colour design of the 2005 obi but retain the 1998/2000 dates as information printed on the obi and, secondly, does this mean that Toshiba-EMI have a policy of NOT exactly reprinting original series? Basically, I'd like to know what the chances are of the 2001 Pink Floyd series being EXACTLY reprinted. Now that really would break my heart.

With best wishes,

Stuart

Last Edit: 2009/01/05 10:33 By sam2095. Reason: Fixed broken link and image
kigonjiro (Moderator)
graphgraph
Stuart, is not the only time that the ID code and release date was maintained but changing the OBI. Recently the 2 first Mike Oldfield albums were rereleased with the same ID and date but with different OBI.

As ownner of all the P Floyd albums I hope that this don´t will happen. And more after have seen last night how a lot of classics will be rereleased in september with the SHM-CD specifications (Clapton, Traffic, Elton J., Kiss, Rainbow,...), and, of course the Zeppelin ones in august.

Domingo

Iggy (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Thanks again, Domingo. And may I ask you where you're getting your information from regarding future releases? You mentioned some releases scheduled for September, but I'm presently only aware of releases up to the first part of August (courtesy of CD Japan's website).

Thanks and best wishes,

Stuart

kigonjiro (Moderator)
graphgraph
Stuart, CD Japan publish his calendar always later than HMV Japan.

This is the link to the prereleases page: http://www.hmv.co.jp/fl/4/5/1/

In fact right now the HMV page is missing the old and live Deep Purple albums scheduled for july, and CD Japan too. So another source that I check time to time is http://www.mediawars.ne.jp/~mundo/cdjapan/link.html to see if something is missing in the other places. Check July to see all the D Purple albums for july 23. In fact HMV have them in his shop but I don´t know why not in the prereleases area: http://www.hmv.co.jp/search/index.asp?formattype=2&category=1&keyword=Deep+Purple&target=MUSIC

Also to know what releases will have promo box from Disk Union you can subscribe to the kamijacket newsletter in the DU page and translate the content using google translator form japanese to english or any other language. This is a very valuable tool to not buy as individual albums what you will like to have boxed.

This is the link:
https://mail.diskunion.net/mail/single.cgi?genre=kamijack

Only need to write your email adress, then you will receive
a message with another link to give your confirmation. So insert your email adress and press the button, in the second pop up window press the left button and you will start receiving the next newsletter.

Cheers

Domingo

PS. I use CD Japan more to check old releases than for future ones. Sometimes using the calendar mode and others searching by band or album name. For that CD Japan offers advantages because they don´t delete the OOP albums so you can now what albums were included in each release.

Last Edit: 2008/06/13 06:33 By sam2095. Reason: fixed link
sam2095 (Moderator)
graph
CDJapan tends to leave releases on the site long after they are out of print - which is annoying in some ways but good for research.

Webmaster for http://www.minilps.net
Iggy (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Thanks Domingo and Sam. I'd been aware for some time that there were better sources of information than CD Japan. What alerted me was how "rare" mini-lps would suddenly show up in the racks of used CD shops here in Japan and then, a couple of weeks later, CD Japan would list these same editions as reprints under its "future releases" (The Beach Boys being a case point). Obviously the shop owners had greater foreknowledge, perhaps from the sites you've kindly identified.

With best wishes,

Stuart

Go to top Post Reply