You have found the home of Japanese Mini LP Papersleeve Replica CDs on the net
HomeBrowse FAQs (Fakes, Buying, Collecting) Fake-free eBayForumContributeMy Collection
Do not go here or you will be banned from this site!
ThumbsThis week / monthRecent images
Random images from
(Very basic search - less is better - use less words if don't find what you're looking for)
FireBoard
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Thanks for visiting the forum.

You are free the post here (and strongly encouraged to respond).

However, there is a Yahoo group (Japanese Import CDs) with a strong membership and healthy debate and discussion that may be of interest.

Some Mini LP CD Newbie Questions (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Some Mini LP CD Newbie Questions
Qazeleus (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Some Mini LP CD Newbie Questions 13 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0  
Hi

Basically I've been looking at some albums I want to buy on the Airmail Recordings label, as they have extra songs etc. But I have a few questions regarding Mini LP CD's as I'm completely new to them to be honest and haven't come across them before.

1. Howcome they are so expensive? Or is it just that Japanese CD's in general are expensive? It's going to cost around £20 UK (including shipping) for one CD, whereas in the UK you can get CD's for around £10 or less. Is there something that makes them so pricey?

2. Are they worth this amount of money? As I could just buy the actual original LP equivalents really (I could probably get two albums on LP for about the price of one Mini LP CD, although there are no extra songs on them), I do buy both vinyl and CD's. Is the packaging anything special? Is it impressive? It sounds off putting because it's classed as 'cardboard sleeves' etc, just doesn't sound impressive when it's put like that, it makes me think of something you would get for free with a magazine.

I guess my questions are probably really quite stupid but I was just hoping you could answer them anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
sam2095 (Moderator)
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Some Mini LP CD Newbie Questions 13 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 2  
Qazeleus wrote:
Hello and welcome - firstly these are not stupid questions!
QUOTE:

1. How come they are so expensive? Or is it just that Japanese CD's in general are expensive? It's going to cost around £20 UK (including shipping) for one CD, whereas in the UK you can get CD's for around £10 or less. Is there something that makes them so pricey?

The cost is for a number of reasons including the following and more:

1. Japanese CDs are considered to be better quality - but note that not all Japanese Mini LPs have Japanese made CDs in them! (I can never remember which ones but it's either Air Mail or Archangel.)

2. The packaging is (arguably) more expensive to make

3. The manufacturers price them as high as they possible can get away with. CDs are no longer any where near as popular as they used to be so they compete where they have to (jewel cases) and charge what they can for "premium" products

QUOTE:

2. Are they worth this amount of money? As I could just buy the actual original LP equivalents really (I could probably get two albums on LP for about the price of one Mini LP CD, although there are no extra songs on them), I do buy both vinyl and CD's. Is the packaging anything special? Is it impressive? It sounds off putting because it's classed as 'cardboard sleeves' etc, just doesn't sound impressive when it's put like that, it makes me think of something you would get for free with a magazine.

Whether they are worth it is up to you I guess.

Most people who have bought these as an investment have been disappointed. There are some exceptions but generally they drop in value (across the board) although there are some that are worth more than others, due to rarity usually, and this value is usually wiped out with a reissue (are these happen regularly).

The latest SHM releases (eg. the "deluxe" versions and others) usually come with more than one version of the cover (eg. from different countries). You may want to look threw these, find one you like and buy it as a taster. Some of them are really nice. Perhaps pick a bad you don't know too well and try them. I knew nothing about "Caravan" and have been really happy to wait and fork out the extra money on the SHM versions.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  

Webmaster for http://www.minilps.net
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply