You have found the home of Japanese Mini LP Papersleeve Replica CDs on the net
HomeBrowse FAQs (Fakes, Buying, Collecting) Fake-free eBayForumContributeMy Collection
Do not go here or you will be banned from this site!
ThumbsThis week / monthRecent images
Random images from
(Very basic search - less is better - use less words if don't find what you're looking for)
FireBoard
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Thanks for visiting the forum.

You are free the post here (and strongly encouraged to respond).

However, there is a Yahoo group (Japanese Import CDs) with a strong membership and healthy debate and discussion that may be of interest.

Re:what if center etched catalog # is reversed? (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:what if center etched catalog # is reversed?
Rick123 (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
what if center etched catalog # is reversed? 12 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0  
I just have an authenticity question here on the original Asia mini LP issues from 2001.

On the play side of the cds, where the catalog # is etched onto the disc near the center, the "Asia" cd has the #UICY 9123 as it should. On the "Alpha" cd, the number is visible, as UICY 9124, but is backwards/mirror image. All other aspects of "Alpha" seem to be authentic (sleeve, obi, inserts), but this backwards numbering is bothering me. I know it may just be a fluke production thing (or even an intentional difference). Wondering if anyone can shed any light on this for me. Thanks!

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Rick123 (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:what if center etched catalog # is reversed? 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0  
This is a scan of the legit 2001 release of Asia "Asia".

Last Edit: 2011/07/27 23:44 By Rick123.
Rick123 (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
This is a scan of the recently acquired alleged 2001 Japan release of Asia "Alpha".
The UICY catalog # is mirror reversed, as stated. What is weird if that in spite of that, both IFPI #'s are not flipped. The inner band IFPI is identical to the "Asia" cd. But the placement of the outer IFPI is much different, and it is scrunched down to about 1/2 the height of the other numberings, which is not the case on the "Asia" cd. Also, on the "Asia" inner band, there is a tiny Universal logo (it appears as a hologram under bright light) which appears 4 times equidistant along that inner band. The "Alpha" cd has no Universal logos.

It has occured to me that these variations on the inner band could be due to, perhaps, this being a promotional cd? Or just a really well excuted knockoff? I just bought this on eBay, and am trying to determine whether i need to try and get a return/refund, if this is in fact a fake. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rick123 (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
The cover and all inserts with "Alpha" seem to be nearly perfect, if it is a fake. But what first caused me to investigate the inner band information, was that i noticed a significant tinting/shading difference on the artwork on the top of the "Alpha" cd. Here is a side-by-side comparison to the "Asia" cd artwork. But again, i have to consider the possibility that the tint difference may also be due to "Alpha" possibly a legit promo copy.

sam2095 (Moderator)
graph
Re:what if center etched catalog # is reversed? 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 2  
It is a bit weird I have to agree - well spotted.

If this is a fake it is the first I've seen without the tell tale ring in the middle (as shown on the fakes FAQ).

I'd really like to know if anyone has another copy.

Webmaster for http://www.minilps.net
Rick123 (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Sam, thanks very much for your reply and for the email. I would've replied sooner, but i'm omly online during the day. The eBay seller was very patient and responsive about my concerns. The tinting difference on the cd top labeling is likely due to this "Alpha" cd being from the 2nd pressing run in 2007. The reversed cat. # can really only be explained by concluding that, in spite of the fact of how meticulous and perfection-oriented the Japanese are with these pressings, that the plate, at least on this individual cd, was somehow flipped (which may also explain the lack of those 4 tiny Universal hologram logos). The only way this makes complete sense would be if the two IFPI #'s are engraved on the center plate AFTER the catalog #'s are engraved (or the catalog #'s are pre-engraved onto the center plate in an earlier phase of the production). Of course, i have no idea if that is how things are done or not. I still ponder the possibility that these anomalies might have been purposeful to indicate a promo issue. Either way, at this point i agree with your conclusion that this is a legit Japan pressing, promo or otherwise. I really didn't want to drag this situation out too long and give the eBay seller (who seems top-notch and highly conscientious) needless headaches, so i'm going to roll with these conclusions and have completed the transaction with positive feedback. I really appreciate your assistance, and this is one fantastic website, a wealth of information and guidance for collectors of the Japan mini LP sleeve cds. Thanks for everything!

Go to top Post Reply